Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Grow Some Claws: How to do Halloween Horror Nights if You're a Scaredy Cat

One of my favorite things in the entire world is Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando Resort. The event usually runs from September to November and starts as the park hits dusk. The Minions fade away, the alcohol comes out, and the lighting gets a lot darker as some of the best and some of the hopefuls in entertainment break out into costumes. Also, there's a lot of fog. 


When I first went to HHN in 2013 (#HHN23, for those keeping count at home), I was absolutely terrified. I had just gotten into horror movies, thanks to the persistence by my then-boyfriend, but I sucked it up and we went with two of my best friends from the Disney College Program. My first haunted house (or, maze) we went into was based off of the movie The Cabin in the Woods, a film I loved, but a house I hated due to the F*CKING ELEVATOR SCENE. I came out emotionally scarred beyond belief, and even though I didn't know it at the time, that night was the first of many for me throughout the next couple years.


So you're reading this going, "Sara, no thanks, I'm never going to HHN even if you write a really cool blog post about how I should totally suck it up and go." Well then, you're irrational and I hope you don't go to HHN anyway. But anyway here's Wonderwall a blog post with some tips about surviving HHN to your fullest potential, even if you're a lil' scaredy cat.* (You will also find pictures so I'm sorry if it's an overload.**)



Outside of Seeds of Extinction.
Tip Number One: Get there when the sun's still out.

Although the park closes for day guests at 5:00 PM, there are holding areas within the park for those also attending to HHN; they scan your ticket upon entrance to the holding area, and bada bing bada boom, you're in until they release you out into the wild. Not only is this a great way to get a leg up on doing the houses the fastest, but you usually break free about 45 minutes prior to the gates opening at 6:30 PM. (I think I am remembering this correctly.) Some people think the sun spoils the fun of the scare zones (the only thing it spoils for me is my coordination walking through the houses because I'm not used to seeing in the dark), but seeing the scare zones in the daylight will help you get adjusted. You can see the scare actors coming at you more quickly, you can react to the props because you can actually see them, and it's harder to feel like someone's sneaking up on you when you can actually see your surroundings. Once you step through a scare zone in the sun, looping back around in the dark really takes the edge off, I've found.

Chillin' with Pops.
Tip Number Two: Hit up some rides when you need a break!

While the entire listing of Universal attractions aren't open for Halloween Horror Nights, there's quite a bit that are: the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Revenge of the Mummy, Transformers: The Ride 3-D, Fast & Furious: Supercharged, Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, Men in Black: Alien Attack, and The Simpsons are all attractions that you can stumble into during HHN's operating hours. No scare actors can be found inside their doors, and the only one that might actually scare you is Revenge of the Mummy. Also, most of them also have fantastic air conditioning (shoutout to MIB), so when it's hot out there, take a break inside and experience some of the thrills UO has to offer.

AOV: CyberPunk

Tip Number Three: Make sure you see some shows (or, rather, THE show).


When I first attended HHN, the shows were Bill & Ted's and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Last year, the only show they had was the Academy of Villains, a dance troupe that has performed at HHN for the last three years, and I'm hoping this year is no exception to that rule. They're absolutely incredible, and also, it's not a scare zone or a house!! I am always amazed watching people with talent and they aren't an exception to that rule. Even if you've seen it once, it hits you differently a time or two afterward.

I did not actually go here.
Tip Number Four: Stop for snacks...inside an actual restaurant.

While there's a lot of food stands around the park (PIZZA FRIES WILL NEVER DIE), these stands are close to the hustle and bustle of the houses and those pesky people in the streets. Have a brave friend grab those Twisted Taters, and then hop into Louie's for 1. air conditioning (I SWEAT OK) and 2. a seat away from some crazies!!! Everyone needs a moment to refill their refillable Coca-Cola cup and pay too much for a hot meal, so take advantage of the time spent. Also, if you're partaking in alcohol (we'll get there later), food is a MUST have for sticking out HHN.

My frans Molly and Bre.
Tip Number Five: Go with a group and stick close to your tall friends!

I don't think many people go alone to HHN (I only have once, this past year, when I needed to return a souvenir item, and I walked through ONE house with a 10-minute line and left), but traveling in a small group is a very surefire way to use your friends as shelter. If you have a friend who screams and jumps around when scared, remember those people with the chainsaws won't be chasing after YOU! Also, when it's time to buddy up for the houses, make sure you don't go through first, and make sure you're walking in behind your tall friend; you can use them as a shield, literally. Bonus points if they're a foot shorter than you (every one of my friends who hid behind me: I am calling you out).

BEN ! ! ! I GOT PURGED !
Tip Number Six: Remember the scare actors are people, and none of this is real.

While everything SEEMS scary, SOUNDS scary, LOOKS scary and the people are COMING AFTER YOU, remember: it's all an elaborate game of dress up! The houses and streets are decorated and designed by a group of very talented individuals, whose goal it is to immerse you in their spooky fun worlds. Also remember these scare actors are people, just like you and me, who may or may not be the same person who checked your cousin Jimmy's height at Jurassic Park River Adventure last month. (I find that looking them in the eyes is a creepy yet effective way of warding them off, personally.)

G O O S E ♡
Tip Number Seven: Find your friends in entertainment!

If you're reading this and you live in Orlando, or you're reading this and your friend lives in Orlando, chances are they know some people behind the mask. Finding these people, whether it's stumbling upon them in a street or perfectly coordinating their set times so that you actually find them in a maze, will help ground you to the crumbling reality that YES, THIS IS NOT REAL!! I LOVE finding my pals who are doing things they love and scaring the shit out of people. Also talking to humans who are trying to scare you will make you remember everyone else has friends that they're also scaring, aka, that guy over there is not an actual serial killer with a knife who's gettin' real close.

I lahv photo ops in NY
Tip Number Eight: Enjoy an alcoholic beverage...or two.

I know, I know: don't endorse alcohol. HOWEVER. Alcohol raises levels of GABA in your brain, which are neurotransmitters that help you feel relaxed***. So if you're feeling a lil' nervous, grab a Shipyard pumpkin ale and take a swig. (Don't do the specialty mixed drinks. I promise they will do nothing. And please, if you get one in a plastic souvenir cup, remember you have to put it in a locker if you ride Rockit, Mummy, Gringotts, or MIB.) I would also like to point out that I am not endorsing getting drunk and blacking out at HHN, because I have been there and I don't remember 2018 preview night ok.

I love this random bear so much
Tip Number Nine: Take photos!

Not only are the sets beautiful, or work as wonderful backdrops for your Instagram feed, but taking photos of scare zones or just props throughout the park can be a helpful distraction. Also if you pose with a scare actor or two, you'll just remember them later and you can be like "omg I'm so cool I have a picture with this scary murderer teddy bear." Last year, HHN even had an "HHN wall," or a cute backdrop to take pictures with all your friends. INCLUDING a photographer who stayed there pretty much all night. Take a break for photo ops; you can never have too many, I personally think. Also they're cute reminders of time spent with friends!

Tip Number Ten: Space out your experiences!

Since I work at Universal, luckily enough, I can experience going to HHN pretty much anytime I want (especially when the latest I was ever scheduled out last year was 6:30 pm). However, a lot of my local friends bought in on Frequent Fear passes, which is kind of like a season pass specifically for HHN. But if you can't handle the scares in large doses, and just want to go on occasion and do a house or two with your other local friends before leaving for the night, I would definitely recommend buying into one of those babies.



And alright, I've gone on long enough about HHN and all its scares. I know it's only April, but I was feeling nostalgic, and I'm also currently throwing my name
in the ring for some HHN-related career moves...cross your fingers for me y'all. (insert cowboy emoji here)

If you enjoyed this post let me know, and if you want to see more HHN-related content on here, let me know that too! I'm attempting to getting back in the groove over here, so if there's any topic you wanna hear my dumb thoughts on, hit me up!

See ya soon,

SK


MUSIC: "bury a friend," - Billie Eilish


*I do not speak on behalf of Universal Orlando Resort. All opinions are my own.
**All photos taken from my Instagram (link in sidebar).
***I found the info about GABA here.

No comments:

Post a Comment